Sunday 15 November 2015

September 11: Boating with Orcas

Another boating day presented. I jammed my injured foot into a dry suit and off we went.
En route to The Nuggets, my crewman Ben shouted out that he had spotted Orcas. We drove along parallel to the coast watching the Orcas out to sea. I am sure that my squeals of excitement could be heard from Station.
Ben and I were confused why Rich in the second IRB was taking photos of us and not the Orcas.
Unbeknownst to us we had an Orca following our boat the whole time!

What an incredible experience to be out in the boats, with the plateau blocking out the sky on one side of us, and the horizon stretching to the east, with no land for thousands of kilometres. To have the Orca pod consider us worthy of investigation was quite the honour.

Thanks Rich Youd for the photos.

Our IRB being followed by the Orca. Photo: Rich Youd
Orca pod frolicking. Photo: Rich Youd
Orca. Photo: Rich Youd
Ben and I oblivious as to our visitor following us. Photo: Rich Youd
Jacque and Ben headed north up the east coast opposite east beach. Photo: Rich Youd

No comments:

Post a Comment