Sunday 5 July 2015

July 4: Memorials and more marine debris

Today is the anniversary of the death of Charles Scoble on the posthumously named Scoble Lake. Mr Scoble broke through the ice on the lake whilst skiing in 1948.  I decided to go and pay my respects on behalf of the 68th ANARE, on this suitably icy and cold day.
Having left so much marine debris uncollected at Bauer Bay, I further decided to walk on to Bauer Bay again and spend my weekend completing the beach clean up solo.
I arrived at Scoble Lake in a snow storm, to find the Lake partially frozen. Had it looked like this in 1948 I doubt that the party would have attempted a crossing.
Onwards to Bauer Bay, and I embarked on the 'treasure' collecting immediately to make the most of the light. Another 215 lengths of green string, 60 plastic fragments and 12 bottles later, I prepared a dinner of miso soup, cheese and pickled vegies, had a read of my book, practiced some Spanish did my Sched with VJM and dried my gear.  All cosy in the hut, I was asleep by 1930hrs.


Charles Scoble memorial. Photo: Jacque Comery

Scoble plaque. Photo: Jacque Comery

First view of Bauer Bay. Photo: Jacque Comery

About to drop down into Bauer Bay. Hut is centre of frame. Photo. :Jacque Comery
Footprints on the beach. Photo: Jacque Comery
Plastics from Bauer Bay. Photo: Jacque Comery
Green string. Photo: Jacque Comery

Marine debris. Photo: Jacque Comery

Hooray for hut dinners. Photo: Jacque Comery


Drying off my gear. Photo: Jacque Comery


Tucked in for the night. Photo: Jacque Comery

No comments:

Post a Comment