Tuesday 14 July 2015

July 10: Garden Cove Rockpools

A low swell day on the east coast this time, gave me another opportunity to check out the rockpools in Garden Cove. The east side is typically more sheltered, as the prevailing winds and swell here are from the west.
With Mark and Ben coming along, one to spot for Orca's (joking...  kind of) and one to spot for grumpy Fur Seals, we waded around in the sheltered knee deep pools.
There is a myth here that if we tap the rocks with  a pole that the resident Orca's will show up. Ben banged away for an eternity, and nothing happened! Mark was snapping pics of cute fur seals, one with a green tag, that we haven't yet  ID'ed.  Our friend #711 wasn't here today.
I saw lots of anemones, and still no nudibranches.
Whilst I donned a dry suit this time to keep my feet dry whilst wading around, my hands still froze quickly in the sub-Antarctic water with  pink washing up gloves over my wool gloves! Also I still can't put my face in the water (no swimming allowed) so have no idea what I am shooting as I can't see the viewfinder! Super fun to see how much life is tucked into the intertidal zone.


Anemones. Photo: Jacque Comery


Anemones. Photo: Jacque Comery


Anemones and Sea cucumber. Photo: Jacque Comery


Tiny critters galore. Photo: Jacque Comery


Sea cucumbers. Photo: Jacque Comery

No comments:

Post a Comment