Wednesday 6 May 2015

April 22: Elephant seals

Elephant seals on the edge of the helipad on station. Photo: Jacque Comery
I am still coming to grips with seeing these guys.  When you live in Australia and you see a 3 metre long pile of something brown your first thought is not, " Oh what animal is that?".  More like "What dumped mouldy carpet is that".  Anyway, I constantly stare right at these guys then wander on by, and they  lift up their heads and make a lazy hiss / roar / burping sound whilst showing you a big mouthful of ...well pink tongue.  It scares the crap out of me every time!  Can't wait til spring when they are flipper to flipper on the beach, and the REAL big boys, The Beachmasters (4 m long and over 4 tonne) arrive. I hope to have  my wits about me by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment